Thursday, August 21, 2008

Getting grief already


It's tough having friends that are young enough to be your kids and are geeks. I was proud of myself when I actually got a blog going and now I'm getting critiqued, which I admit I asked for from these friends. It is not so much the blog that they are ragging on me about it is the fact that I told them that I was changing motorcycles.
So here is my trusty R1200GS on a recent trip in Hyder, Alaska. This bike is the greatest single bike that you can own, and I am selling it. I have had all three of the oil head version GS bikes. The 1100, 1150 and now the 1200. All have been my favorite bike ever. So if it is so good why am I selling it. As much as I love to ride I have never been much of an off road rider. I prefer the asphalt to the dirt. The GS is great on both although it really is more suited to the asphalt. The problem for me is the bike is competent off road which tempts me to take it there. The reason I sold my first GS was because I was tempted to go off road. My wife and I decided we had to see the famous Racetrack in Death Valley. It is 27 miles off the asphalt road. 27 miles of washboard, sand, gravel and ruts. You might also realize by now that it is 27 miles back to the asphalt. Three bolts rattled off my GS and my wifes face shield screws fell out by the time we got back. I swore I would never ride like that again and sold that GS immediately. Bought a K1200RS. A year of so later I got tempted again by the then new R1150GS.

Rode the 1150GS all over the place. Even on some dirt roads in Canada and Alaska a few years ago. Got the bug when the new GS came out and sold the 1150 and bought the 1200.
But now I think I need a break from the "adventure" riding thing again and am going to open a new page in my quest for the perfect ride. More asphalt less dirt.


More to follow

No comments: